Tuesday, July 13, 2010

my latest reading

Today i read a little book called "What is the Gospel?" by Greg Gilbert that was given to me last week.
It thought it did a good job of presenting the basic message that I have centered my life around.
I wish i could say that i don't understand the need for this type of book, but in this day and age, when we have endless information streams bombarding our brains from every angle, i can see how someone might want to just say the message, one more time, but in a clear, succinct form.
check it out for the basic message (or you could read just read Romans).

... but I especially appreciated one thought toward the end of the book.   The author is warning against adding extra things to the Good News.
He cautions that some who strongly emphasize the need for the Body to engage in cultural transformation.  He says, "the highest excitement and joy are ignited by the promise of a reformed culture rather than by the work of [the Son]on the cross."
I think this was a good word for me to hear because I was and am engaged in the work of cultural transformation.  I believe it is a good, Biblical thing for Believers to closely examine our lives, the way we spend money and "free time," the people we befriend, and the places we live, and that we intertwine our lives with the plight of  the outcast, the poor, and the lost.
We just have to remember that the reason we intertwine our lives with these people is not ultimately to restore and redeem culture (although that's great too), it is to love and serve individuals and to share with them the One who can give them eternal redemption.

if you have any thoughts or comments about my comment or about the book, i'd welcome them.

...leigh....

No comments:

Post a Comment